Monday, October 22, 2007

Roman Apple Cake

Yes, we are studying Rome. No, I don't think this is related to Rome in any way I can figure out. Basically, we really love this recipe. It comes out of my ever faithful More With Less cookbook put out by the folks at the Mennonite Central Committee.

Roman Apple Cake

Preheat oven to 350.
Combine in mixing bowl:
1 cup sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
1 /4 tsp. salt
3/8 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon
Beat in:
2/3 cup margerine (I use Becel)
2 eggs
2/3 cups milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Add:
3 cups raw apples, chopped small (leave on skins)
Mix well. Pour into greased and floured 9x13" pan.
Cover with topping:
Crumble together:
1 Tbsp. melted margerine
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts or coconut (optional)
1/4 cups rolled oats.
Bake for 35-40 minutes.

I usually opt for the coconut as my kids are not too fond of nuts in things.

Enjoy!



No comments: